immerse yourself in natural beauty and tranquility
The Quill currently offers visitors a total of 8 hiking trails, ranging from a short birding trail above the botanical garden for all abilities, to more challenging hikes into the crater and to Mazinga peak. The most challenging hike, the Rim trail, is an adventurous option for the most skilled hikers and adds a unique experience to your visit. Hiking one of the 8 trails in the northern hills provides a stunning contrast to the lush vegetation of the Quill. The dry, arid landscape, cacti and old slave ruins give visitors a sense of the history of the area. The views of the island from the top of Boven and Gilboa Hill are simply breathtaking. For all trails please ensure you are wearing adequate footwaer, carry plenty of water, and hike with a buddy.
Hiking Trails in the Quill.
- Quill trail (2 hours round trip): hike from Orjanestad to the crater rim
- Crater trail (90 mins – 2 hours round trip from crater rim): takes hikers in a loop into the crater
- Mazinga peak (90 mins – 2 hours round trip from crater rim) – a difficult trail from the rim to the highest point on Statia with views of the entire island, the Caribbean Sea and Atlantic Ocean. On a clear day you can see St. Kitts, Nevis and Montserrat.
- Panorama Point (30min – 1 hour round trip from crater rim): medium/difficult trail, taking hikers to a fantastic view point overlooking Saba, St Maarten and St Barths
- Round the Mountain trail (4-6 hrs round trip): winds around the boundary line of the National Park, passing great viewpoints to St. Kitts
- Botanical Garden trail (20min): connects the Botanical Garden entrance to the Around the Mountain (south) trail
- Bird Observation trail (20min): meanders through the natural vegetation area of the Botanical Garden and links to the Around the Mountain (south) trail.
Hiking trails in the Northern Hills
- Venus Bay (60mins round trip from the end of Zeelandia road): is the next bay after Zeelandia Bay
- Boven trail (2-3 hours round trip from Venus Bay): starts from Venus Bay plain and cuts north to the top of Boven, passing through the remains of a sisal plantation and a former distillery
- Bergje Trail (120mins round trip from Venus Bay): branches off from the trail to Venus Bay to the west around Bergje, and supports a small population of endemic Statia Morning Glory
- Gilboa Hill Butterfly trail (2-3 hours round trip): Traverses all three ridges of Gilboa Hill, passing through a former sugar mill and an impressive unfinished fort
- Gilboa Hill First ridge (60 mins round trip) offers spectacular views of Zeelandia beach, the Quill and the Atlantic Ocean
- Gilboa Hill second ridge (total 2-3 hours round trip). The second ridge on this hill follows slave walls to the coast and offers views of St. Barths, the Quill and Boven. Links with the third ridge.
- Gilboa Hill Third Ridge (2 hours round trip): The third ridge on the hill offers views of Venus Bay, Boven and the Quill and connects with the second ridge.
- Jenkins Bay (2-3 hours round trip from Venus Bay trail) :A lovely hike to Jenkins bay along an eroded ‘river’ bed. At the end of the trail enjoy views of the Caribbean Sea and Saba. Trail starts part way along the trail to Venus Bay.
- Signal Hill (2-3 hours round trip): Visitors wishing to hike this trail must be accompanied by a guide and get prior permission to enter Nustar property where the trail begins. Home to the largest population of Statia Morning Glory and three forts/batteries, it is well worth a visit.
The Island Ordinance for Protection of Fauna and Flora (1997) is in force. Visitors are requested to refrain from touching or removing any trees, plants or animals. Please keep to the trails and do not litter. In order to cover trail maintenance costs, there is a hiker entrance fee of $6 payable at the National Parks Office or Tourist Office, these tags are valid for one year. Guided hikes can also be arranged at the Park office.
We hope you will enjoy your visit to the Quill/Boven National Park. To enhance your hiking experience and find out more about the geology, reptiles, amphibians, birds and flora of the Quill / Boven National Park, take a look at the information guides, brochures and posters that are on display and for sale at the Park office.